Experienced jewelers can glance at a ring and tell you if the diamond is real. Bank tellers are trained to quickly identify counterfeit bills. But how can you tell if alligator skin is real or fake? Like jewels and money, these exotic skins in Baton Rouge, LA have their own indicators.
You simply have to know how to recognize them. Here’s the scoop:
- Look for patterns: Does that “alligator” handbag have a perfect pattern? Are the scales perfectly proportioned? Does the entire bag feature a uniform geometric pattern? While it may look pretty, this level of perfection does not exist in nature. Real exotic skins in Baton Rouge, LA have imperfections. The patterns are not completely uniform. Look for varying scale shapes and sizes to identify real alligator skin. Patterns should vary within a product and between products, so no two real alligator items ever look exactly the same.
- Try to bend it: Alligators may be fairly flexible in real life, but their skins don’t have a lot of elasticity. If you’ve ever owned anything made of alligator leather in Baton Rouge, LA, you know that these products require intentional care to prevent cracks and creases. If a product is very stretchy and flexible, it’s not real alligator skin.
- Use your senses: What does the skin feel like? Does it feel plastic and artificial, or does it feel like genuine leather? What about its odor? Does it smell like tanning chemicals or like an animal, especially if you dampen it slightly? How does it look? Is it extremely shiny? Some tanners use shiny finishes, but very bright and artificial-looking appearances typically indicate fake skin. Use these sight, touch and smell tests to determine if a product boasts the real deal or a manmade alligator finish.
- Check the price tag: Exotic skins in Baton Rouge, LA are not cheap. When it comes to alligator skin, the old adage rings true: if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Don’t be fooled into thinking you are getting a great deal on genuine alligator skin. The material is premium, and consumers pay for its rarity. If you walk out of a store with a $20 “alligator” accessory, it’s an imitation.
- Ask an expert: If you use the above tests and are still unsure about an exotic skin in Baton Rouge, LA, you can always ask a local expert. Professionals who deal in exotic skins are familiar with their appearance, texture and other qualities. They can quickly assess the product to determine if it is real or fake alligator leather in Baton Rouge, LA.
Find an Expert
Do you need an expert to assess your alligator leather in Baton Rouge, LA? The professionals at Acadian Leather are ready to assist you. With more than 25 years of experience, we specialize in custom-made exotic leather products such as belts, wallets, purses, shoes, boots, other customized accessories, skin brokering and the importing and exporting of exotic skins in Baton Rouge, LA.
Stop in today or contact our knowledgeable staff to learn more!
Categorised in: Leather Care