While boots come in a variety of styles, they share common components that are standard across designers and manufacturers around the world. When shopping for custom boots in Baton Rouge, LA, you want to understand how a boot is constructed so you end up with the shoes you’ve always wanted.
The parts of the boot
Many people are surprised to learn that there are quite a few pieces that make up high-quality boots in Baton Rouge, LA. When working with a store that customizes boots, make sure you’re familiar with all of the following parts:
- Outsole: Usually referred to simply as the sole, this is the bottom piece of the boot that actually touches the ground when you walk. The materials used for outsoles vary depending on the type of boot you are customizing.
- Insole: Found inside the boot, this is the material upon which the foot rests when you put on a boot.
- Shank: Beneath the insole, you will find the shank, which is an interior portion included to provide additional support for the arch of the foot.
- Toe box: This is the part of the boot that is reinforced and creates the toe shape. When buying custom boots in Baton Rouge, LA, you want to give the toe box quite a bit of thought, since this will really define the style of your new footwear.
- Vamp: Sometimes called the upper or even just the foot, the vamp of a boot covers your foot from the outsole to the bottom of the throat or shaft.
- Throat: Also called the boot shaft, the throat begins at the ankle and goes up as high as you want the boot to go. This is another part of the boot you want to think about before buying a custom pair of quality boots in Baton Rouge, LA. The shaft is made up of a front quarter and back quarter.
- Collar: This is the top portion of the shaft, and another place to add decorative touches or embellishments.
- Tongue: This is the upper portion of the vamp and connects to the throat. This is a great portion of the boot to add personalized touches to customize your look.
- Instep: Beneath the tongue on the vamp, comfort in this part of the boot is crucial. You want the instep to feel snug against your foot, but not too tight or loose. Proper fit of the instep determines how well the boot sits on your foot.
- Heel: Attached to the back of the outsole, this determines the height of your boot. You can do a low heel, like the one you would find on a cowboy or riding boot, or something higher for a more fashion-forward look.
For more than 25 years, people shopping for custom boots in Baton Rouge, LA have come to Acadian Leather to find exactly what they’ve always wanted from their footwear. As experts in customized shoes, we stock only the finest leathers and stay up to date on current trends, ensuring you always have the best experience when you visit us. If you have questions about creating your own boots, contact us now. We’re happy to answer any of your questions and help you make your boot dreams into realities.
Categorised in: Boots