Just like our skin, all leather goods are somewhat porous. While leather does have some natural waterproofing abilities, it’s not 100 percent waterproof. To keep your leather looking its best for as long as possible, it’s essential to apply a waterproofing agent every couple of months.
The good news is that you can make the best leather waterproofing cream in Baton Rouge, LA with just a few simple ingredients. Continue reading to learn how to make your own waterproofing cream:
- Combine ingredients: The only ingredients you need for this DIY cream are a cup of extra virgin olive oil and two ounces of beeswax. Break up small pieces of the beeswax and place them in a glass jar. Then, pour the cup of olive oil into the jar and put the jar in a pan of cold water.
- Heat: Now that the jar is in your pan, place it on the stovetop and slowly heat the mixture. Slowly warm the jar until the beeswax has completely melted. Stir the mixture every once in a while to prevent it from sticking to the jar.
- Cool: Once the mixture has melted, carefully remove the jar from the pan and continue to stir the mixture until it cools down. Once the mixture has cooled, it will be stiff and ready to use. Be advised that this takes up to 20 minutes to complete.
- Apply: Using a soft cloth, slowly buff your beeswax mixture onto your leather goods. Be sure to test the mixture in an inconspicuous spot on your leather before applying it more thoroughly.
Want to buy a commercial product instead?
There are plenty of store-bought options if you don’t feel like making your own waterproofing mixture, but be careful when shopping online—there are tons of sprays and creams out there that won’t defend against moisture and might actually do more harm than good.
We recommend Apple Brand Rain and Stain Water Repellent as the best leather waterproofing spray in Baton Rouge, LA. This spray runs about $17 and will protect against any moisture your leather encounters as well as stains from spilled food or drinks.
Buy your leather goods from us!
Now you know how to waterproof leather in Baton Rouge, LA. But before you start waterproofing, you’ll need to buy your goods from Acadian Leather. Here are a few reasons to shop with us:
- Wide selection: When it comes to leather goods, nobody has a bigger selection of high-quality products than us. Whether you’re searching for boots, shoes, purses, belts, wallets or any other accessory, we have you covered.
- Customization: Make your leather products unique by customizing them with your initials, logo or a special design! We have the ability to customize any leather product for you.
- Helpful employees: If you’re new to buying leather or you don’t know which size is right for you, we’re here to help! Our staff members have years of experience, so you can rest easy knowing we’ll help you find just what you need.
Whether you’re looking to buy high-end leather goods or you’d just like to know more about how to waterproof leather in Baton Rouge, LA, contact Acadian Leather. We’re currently open by appointment only, but we still have the area’s largest selection of high-end leather!
Categorised in: Leather Care